Re: systemd, again (Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing)

On Sunday, 7 de September de 2014 16:11:02 Matthias Urlichs escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Chris Bannister:
> > > If technically feasible, that would be a far better safety net (just
> > > tell people to boot with init=/sbin/sysvinit if they run into a
> > > problem) than an "oh dear, it's so dangerous that we don't even
> > > install it by default" message. :-/
> >
> > Surely, it should be an OPT-IN choice, not an OPT-OUT one? I'm talking
> > upgrades here, not new installs.
>
> I am talking "if we decide to use a configurable symlink, then
> surely systemd will have the highest priority". [*]
>
> Yes, that does mean that, if you do not do anything else, your system will
> boot with systemd. Which IMHO is as it should be.

I do not challenge systemd being the default, but I want my own systems with
configured sysvinit scripts not to be switched.

Example: having EMC Networker server softare for backups in a sysvinit machine
is (relatively) easy, because the scripts for starting and stopping the
services are (quite) standard (but very complicated) sysv scripts. Migrating
that machine to systemd just renders tens of thousands of euros useless
because the backup server software will not start.

> Quite frankly: If you're savvy enough to do something to your init setup
> that is no longer supported, and at the same time stupid enough to upgrade
> to Jessie without reading the release notes _and_ ignore systemd-sysv's
> debconf notice (which doesn't exist yet, but should probably be added),
> then that's your own damn fault.

Frankly I know lots of people who fall in that category (savvy enough and what
you dismissingly call "stupid enough") who would benefit a lot for that debconf
notice. We should make sure that it helps also people doing remote upgrades on
console command line.

Regards

Noel
er Envite