Re: daemon user naming scheme

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> > On 25/08/14 16:53, Simon McVittie wrote:

> >> * Debian-foo
> >> * Dfoo

Uppercase may have problems dealing with eMail.
Sometimes, dæmon users may want that. I strongly suggest
to not use uppercase letters in usernames, system or not.

> >> I think I slightly prefer _foo, which originated in *BSD.
>
> Moreover, _foo is not accepted by adduser, the option --force-badname
> must be used.

This is probably good, because the chances of it conflicting
with admin-provided users are less, then.

(Personally preferring _foo as well, but then, I’m biased.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
15:41⎜<Lo-lan-do:#fusionforge> Somebody write a testsuite for helloworld :-)