Re: daemon user naming scheme

On 25/08/14 14:01, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> is there for Debian a daemon user naming scheme or custom ?

Several :-(

The ones I've seen suggested are (assuming a package, daemon or user
whose simple name is "foo"):

* _foo
* foo
* debian-foo
* Debian-foo
* Dfoo

<https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=248809> has been open
since 2004 and shows no signs of resolution.

I think I slightly prefer _foo, which originated in *BSD. However, none
of the packages I maintain actually do that; they use Debian-foo or
debian-foo for historical reasons (that seemed to be the most popular at
the time, and changing a username once you have created it is hard to
get right).