Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

Joss wrote:

>I think there are several ways to do that:
>      * tweak the debian-cd scripts to build GNOME images for Linux
>        architectures and Xfce or MATE images for !linux (I canâ??t tell
>        how hard it is)

It's perfectly feasible; at the moment, the debian-cd scripts on
pettersson [1,2] pull out information from the tasksel packages to
determine the default desktop etc., but that's not too difficult to
change if we agree to do it.

>      * make stripped-down gnome-core/gnome metapackages for !linux,
>        relying on lightdm and gnome-flashback (that I can do)

Possibly...

>      * hackishly make gnome-core/gnome metapackages depend directly on
>        Xfce or MATE for !linux instead of GNOME (same)

Ewww, no!

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-cd/setup.git/tree/jessie/cronjob.weekly
[2] http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-cd/debian-cd.git/tree/tools/update_tasks

You raise the blade, you make the change... You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane...