Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

Quoting Josselin Mouette (joss@debian.org):

> I’d like the thread to be useful, and for that goal it would be much
> appreciated if the d-i team could you tell us what the relevant criteria
> are and what people need to work on.

Here is my opinion. Please take it as "opinion of someone who's been
involved in D-I for 10 years and pretends having a rough idea of the
D-I goals". So, indeed, not much more than the personal opinion of an
old chap...

> → Is the installation CD size still relevant?

IMHO, no. I've seen most of the arguments about bandwidth in so-called
"3rd world", use on old hardware, blah, blah blah and I'm not convinced
at all.

> → What is the target audience of Debian-installer for the default
> image?

Average users with little or no experience of Linux but still, in some
way, technically skilled. In the past, with Joeyh, we were calling
these "Bob users" instead of "Joe users"....

> → What is the required level of accessibility?

A high as possible. A11y has always been a priority for the D-I team,
assuming we have the manpower and skills for it (thankfully, Samuel
helps a lot in that for years).

> → Will you configure different defaults for different architectures?

Given the current architecture of tasksel, I think it requires
important changes to the code and nearly nobody contributes to the
code: tasksel is in maintenance only mode with easy to fix bugs being
fixed as well as bugs or fixes required to cope with changes in
installed packages.

FWIW, my current personal opinion would be "revert back to GNOME as
default".