Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 01:47:53PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 07:42:41PM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:
> > Available in GNOME 3.
> >
> > Available in GNOME 3.
> >
> > Not enabled by default (if I remember correctly), but possible to enable
> > using gnome-tweak-tool.
>
> I shouldn't have to know that.  And I am pretty sure when gnome3 appeared
> in sid, it wasn't available.
>
> > Not enabled by default (if I remember correctly), but possible to enable
> > using gnome-tweak-tool.
>
> I will somewhat agree that one is hardly ever used since I just alt+tab to the other window I want.
>
> > Available in GNOME 3.
> >
> > Alt+space brings up the window menu in GNOME 3.
> >
> > So, sounds like GNOME 3 provides/can provide everything you seem to
> > expect from a window manager.
>
> Trying to navigate the horrible menu system trying to find where to
> configure things was highly unpleasant too.  It made windows 8 seem sane.
>
> I just believe the default when you install and log in the first time
> shoudl be something that makes sense to your typical average user, and I
> don't think gnome3 by default does that.  It can be tweaked to do so now
> (I don't think it could initially), but the typical user won't know how
> to do that.  The defaults are bad.

Well, if there's a consensus that the minimise/maximise
buttons are needed (I always enable them, so I'd vote yes!), then
I'm sure that the Debian GNOME team will be happy to enable those
options by default.

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //