Re: all modern desktops need systemd, either send patches or life with it (Re: systemd now appears to be only possible init system in testing)

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 03:58:32AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:

>> Well, the subject (and also the body) conveyed the wrong message, that
>> systemd is mandatory in Debian now. Which - as you also said - is
>> wrong, at least for two reasons: a.) it's logind, not systemd and b.)
>> only desktops are affected.

> apt-get install logind
> E: Unable to locate package logind

> If logind was detachable from systemd, it would be in a separate package.

logind is also not mandatory in Debian now.  It's just required, upstream,
by all the major desktop environments.

I think one point Holger was making is that *desktop environments* are not
mandatory in Debian.  I have lots of Debian systems, including my desktop,
that don't run any desktop environment at all.