Re: all modern desktops need systemd, either send patches or life with it (Re: systemd now appears to be only possible init system in testing)

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 01:26:47AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Dienstag, 22. Juli 2014, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > I just tried updating testing on my system.  I currently use
> > sysvinit-core (reasons below), but aptitude is telling me that I
> > should remove this in favour of systemd-sysv.  Hmm, why is that?

> Because all modern desktops now need systemd so all features work. blame
> upstream^w^wsend patches to upstream and Debian will have those...

What they need is logind.  Saying "needs systemd" for things that need
logind is as hopelessly confusing as if you were to say it for things that
need udev.

logind itself currently needs systemd as PID 1, because systemd 208 was
uploaded to unstable (and has migrated to testing) before systemd-shim has
been updated for compatibility.

I have already opined that I think this was a bad idea and will not belabor
the point.

> Really, get over it or do something. Ranting on -devel will not change
> anything.

There was nothing in Julian's message which was a rant, so I don't think
this response is called for.  He *was* doing something about a systemd
integration problem that was a blocker for him - he was asking for help.

If we have to go through this same sequence of messages every time someone
asks on debian-devel for help with a systemd issue, it's going to be a long
release cycle.