Re: all modern desktops need systemd, either send patches or life with it (Re: systemd now appears to be only possible init system in testing)

Hi Steve,

thanks for the technical details, much appreciated.

On Mittwoch, 23. Juli 2014, Steve Langasek wrote:
> There was nothing in Julian's message which was a rant, so I don't think
> this response is called for.

Well, the subject (and also the body) conveyed the wrong message, that systemd
is mandatory in Debian now. Which - as you also said - is wrong, at least for
two reasons: a.) it's logind, not systemd and b.) only desktops are affected.

And, even though the rest of Julians message was as you described, it
attracted two quite flamatory replies at first...

> He *was* doing something about a systemd
> integration problem that was a blocker for him - he was asking for help.
>
> If we have to go through this same sequence of messages every time someone
> asks on debian-devel for help with a systemd issue, it's going to be a long
> release cycle.

I totally agree with these parts - and while I do think this thread startly
badly I also think it has become a much nicer one by now. Hopefully this is
more like how systemd threads will be in future too ;)

cheers,
	Holger