Re: let missing-debian-source-format lintian tag be a warning!

On 07/17/2014 02:29 AM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Thomas Goirand
>
>> On 07/15/2014 09:42 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:
>>> I am not a big fan of the 3.0 (quilt) format because it imposes a patch system.
>>> In particular, this format does not make much sense when managing the source
>>> package with Git.
>>
>> I'm not sure I'm following you. I do use git for packaging, and I have
>> no problem at all with format 3.0 (quilt). I was resisting to progress
>> and reluctant to get out of my comfort zone at first, but now I like it.
>> What is it that bothers/annoy you exactly?
>
> I can't speak for Plessy, but the entire concept of using a different,
> much more limited patch system on top of git is just.. weird.  It makes
> absolutely no sense to dumb down all the rich metadata you have in your
> git repository to something that's possible to express using quilt.
>
> It's busywork that has very little value for anybody and a
> not-insignificant cost.

Got it now. And I agree. It'd be awesome if we had something like:
quilt git-cherry-pick <git-ref>

which would do the work. Then it wouldn't be a problem.

Also, it'd be super nice if someone gave a talk about git-dpm at
Debconf, to explain to everyone how it works. Anyone?

Cheers,

Thomas