Re: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 01:11:04PM -0700, Ryan Tandy wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Olav Vitters <olav@vitters.nl> wrote:
> > GNOME flashback AFAIK is a Debian thing. For sure it is NOT part of
> > GNOME. We do have GNOME classic, but you already know that. I'm a bit
> > confused.
>
> GNOME Flashback has at least some upstream presence:
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback and
>
> The gnome-panel and metacity repositories on git.gnome.org both have
> recent commits. Are those no longer considered part of GNOME?

They use GNOME infrastructure (Bugzilla, git, etc), they release
tarballs but not part of what release team releases/coordinates. As such
also not in any release notes nor email from release team. See for
instance the announcement of GNOME 3.13.2:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2014-May/msg00034.html
the tarballs it links to are:
https://download.gnome.org/core/3.13/3.13.2/sources/
https://download.gnome.org/apps/3.13/3.13.2/sources/
There is no gnome-panel tarball in those directories.

The wiki indicates interested people for this includes MATE developers,
etc. I'd see it as separate things:
- GNOME "team" (fairly big with l10n, etc)
- MATE (l10n will usually handle anything on git.gnome.org)
- GNOME flashback team (same here)

I know metacity is maintained as the new maintainer asked for Bugzilla
privileges

I'm not sure of the difference between flashback and MATE. MATE took
over a few git modules, flashback as well.

To be clear: I think it is great that various groups of developers took
over modules and are going in their own way/direction.

Regarding release notes: I expect that to be written by those teams.
MATE doing their release notes, flashback team as well.

--
Regards,
Olav