Re: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

On 06/03/2014 05:36 AM, Fabian Greffrath wrote:
> Again, I don't want to degrade the MATE project or your packaging
> effort, not at all. But my questions and concerns are serious. I still
> do not get the point of the whole MATE desktop now that it tries to run
> behind and catch up with GNOME again.

Speaking as an individual, I do appreciate the effort of the MATE team.
My experience with GNOME Flashback has ranged from very bad to
incredibly frustrating, up to the point that I decided to switch to Xfce
and I have, since, been happy again.

Just before writing this message, I tested GNOME Flashback once again on
my Sid box and it does not unpaint some windows (tried with the menu and
GNOME Terminal). This is not only a show stopper, it's an elemental
mistake. I couldn't be able to say if it's a packaging problem or a
GNOME Flashback problem.

I run GNOME Flashback under Ubuntu at work. At that moment, when I
installed it I had to diagnose a terrible a memory leak that came from
upstream. I know Ubuntu is not Debian, but the memory leak was
eventually acknowledged and fixed by upstream.

OTOH, GNOME Classic just runs on top of GNOME Shell, suffering from the
same drawbacks like resource consumption and the tablet-like UX paradigm
(just a bit less sucky).

>From my point of view, GNOME Flashback just doesn't have enough love
from --pretty much-- anybody; this includes the GNOME team: no news
about GNOME Flashback in the 3.10 or 3.12 release notes (it was first
released in 3.8).

I will, of course, test MATE in the upcoming days.