Re: OpenRC status (was: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian)

On 06/04/2014 02:50 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> On 06/04/2014 11:19 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> oh and ... no systemd, so it can run on non-linux ports! :)
>
> On that note, how are things with OpenRC.

Not great. I have not enough time for it. OpenStack (with the recent
Icehouse release) drained all of my time, including the short free time
of my week-ends. I hope to have more free time this summer for it.

The current plan was to have the interpreter (of runscripts) called
openrc-run, separated from the rest of OpenRC, so it could be used when
using sysv-rc too. In that way, we could start aggressively replacing
sysv-rc scripts when Jessie is out, if openrc-run becomes a dependency
of sysv-rc. Then the choice of sysv-rc vs openrc would be only about
"the thing who starts stuff", not just sh vs openrc-run.

But currently, it's only an idea, nobody started implementing it.

When discussing with one of the upstream (Patrick Lauer, which I'm
hereby adding as Cc) he told me it should be easy. Patrick, would you
have some time for this? Just your explanations will not cut it for
me... Maybe when I get back home we could spend some time hacking
together? :)

> All I've tested so far is
> inside my test vm, where it works fine. I'd love to have it on my work
> laptop, if I just had a replacement for policykit.

There's nobody currently working on a policykit / logind replacement.
This is IMO out of the scope of an init system and should be a separated
project.

Thomas