Re: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 03:06:46PM +0000, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>   o GNOME classic/fallback/flashback has become obsolete by upstream AFAIK

GNOME classic is maintained, it is a set of extensions against
gnome-shell. Some distributions renamed fallback as classic, resulting
in some confusion.

> There are goods and bads about forked code. GNOMEv3 is a completely
> different product compared to GNOMEv2. So, a fork at that time, like
> it was done by the MATE people, absolutely made sense (to me).

GNOMEv3 from a user perspective is completely different. On a package
level, there aren't that many differences.

MATE initially forked everything. But for a while now they've taken over
maintenance of some components on git.gnome.org. IMO some time was
wasted, but that's up to them.

They're sticking around and I don't understand the focus of what people
do. I don't think any of the MATE devs contributed to GNOME before
starting MATE, so MATE resulted in a lot of new developers actively
working on free software.

That being said, I did complain for a while about some unneeded forks.
Having critical people is also needed to improve things.

--
Regards,
Olav