Re: Redefining critical bug severity

On Tue, May 20 2014, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Arto Jantunen <viiru@debian.org> writes:
>
>> Because a package that doesn't work at all (and thus breaks rdeps) isn't
>> as broken as a package that wipes the root fs on installation.
>
> Note that the latter breaks the whole system, and hence is critical
> regardless of this distinction.

        True. But we might have a package whose breakage is not as
 extreme: It does not remove the roof file system, it just cases another
 package (say, xtank, or flex pr ccache) to break. It is not breaking
 all the system, so is not by itself critical.

        There is a gap in the wording, an unless  the bug happens to
 match other criteria that make it more than serious, it will default to
 normal.

        Having an subset of the system, where the software does not
 explicitly depend on the package in question, without breaking the
 system as a whole -- is that release critical? What if a package turns
 /var/games immutable? Does nto break the system -- until something
 wants to write there.

        As long as such breakage remains serious, I can't, as Russ put
 it, become too excited about it.  It was not clear to me that braeking
 independent packages is covered under some other clause, though, s long
 as the whole system is not compromised.

        manoj
--
The shortest measurable interval of time is the time between the moment
I put a little extra aside for a sudden emergency and the arrival of