Re: how to deal with a missed so bump already uploaded ?

On Fri, 2014-05-16 at 20:56 +0000, PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the zeromq upstream forgot to do an so bump when releasing the 4.x series.
> The breakage was discovers quite late so it is now in testing.
> the package should be revert to the 3.2.4 version.
>
> you can find all the information about this breakage in the bug #743508.
>
> So my question is how to deal with this mess ?
>
> thanks
>

> Frederic

(CC'ing the bug)

Well, I think the procedure was already laid out in the bug...
Epoch or a ugly version like 4.x.y+really-3.y.w ...

Another option is to fix all the reverse dependencies, provide patches
and eventually NMU it. (And as eventually the maintainer will want to
upload version 4 someday, one need anyway work with your r-depends to
fix the issues)

IMHO the severity should be raised to critical as it breaks unrelated
software.

IMHO not bumping the so-name is a (upstream) bug here...
https://github.com/zeromq/libzmq/blob/master/configure.ac
indicates that upstream already fixed this:
So a new version packaged (or cherrypicking this change) would help.

--
tobi