Re: systemd-fsck?

Am Sonntag, 11. Mai 2014, 00:55:43 schrieb Kevin Chadwick:
> previously on this list Steve Langasek contributed:
> > > Using systemd breaks something that worked for probably a decade or
> > > longer
> > > before however long that su is in that init script.  So on what account
> > > do
> > > you call calling "su" in an init script a bug?  It may not be the most
> > > elegant solution to do things, granted, but a bug?  Come on.  Calling it
> > > bug just cause systemd / policykit treat calling su in an initscript as
> > > they do is quite arrogant in my eyes.
> >
> > As the maintainer of the pam package in Debian, I assure you: this is a
> > bug
> > in dirmngr.  System services should not (must not) call interfaces that
> > launch pam sessions as part of their init scripts.  su is one of those
> > interfaces.
>
> In that case should it be one of those interfaces.
>
> He is right, books tell you (for decades) quite rightly to do just that
> in rc.local for example. Examples are all over the internet, so if this
> breaks your system are you or RedHat going to change all those books
> and websites to say but if you are using Linux post 20?? you now have to
> do it differently unless you use Slackware or maybe Gentoo or???, that
> is irresponsible or bad planning or configuration or perhaps money in
> RedHat's pocket for support if I was inclined to be sinical.
>
> "The su utility allows a user to run a shell with the user and group
> ID of another user without having to log out and in as that other user."

+1

I would start with the manpage of su:

DESCRIPTION
       The su command is used to become another user during a login
       session. Invoked without a username, su defaults to becoming the
       superuser. The optional argument - may be used to provide an
       environment similar to what the user would expect had the user
       logged in directly.

I think it can´t get much clearer than that. Become another user during a
login session.

Nothing at all about that su spawns another login session. During a login
session even indicates the opposite of it.

So it doesn´t.

According to the documentation at least.

So I do not even see the behaviour in dirmngr init script as a bug anymore. It
is using *documented* functionality.

I´d still replace it with start-stop-daemon as it seems to work fine and seems
to be more standardized to me, yet, the "su" manpage IMHO does not leaves a
doubt here.