Re: systemd-fsck?

previously on this list Steve Langasek contributed:

> > Using systemd breaks something that worked for probably a decade or longer
> > before however long that su is in that init script.  So on what account do
> > you call calling "su" in an init script a bug?  It may not be the most
> > elegant solution to do things, granted, but a bug?  Come on.  Calling it a
> > bug just cause systemd / policykit treat calling su in an initscript as
> > they do is quite arrogant in my eyes.
>
> As the maintainer of the pam package in Debian, I assure you: this is a bug
> in dirmngr.  System services should not (must not) call interfaces that
> launch pam sessions as part of their init scripts.  su is one of those
> interfaces.

In that case should it be one of those interfaces.

He is right, books tell you (for decades) quite rightly to do just that
in rc.local for example. Examples are all over the internet, so if this
breaks your system are you or RedHat going to change all those books
and websites to say but if you are using Linux post 20?? you now have to
do it differently unless you use Slackware or maybe Gentoo or???, that
is irresponsible or bad planning or configuration or perhaps money in
RedHat's pocket for support if I was inclined to be sinical.

"The su utility allows a user to run a shell with the user and group
ID of another user without having to log out and in as that other user."

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)