Re: systemd-fsck?

On Sat, 10 May 2014 11:55:19 +0200, Matthias Urlichs
<matthias@urlichs.de> wrote:
>Marc Haber:
>> Will it be the norm that the binaries replacing well-used shell
>> scripts on early boot only implement the features that Lennart deemed
>> useful? That would be a major turn-off, adding to the fact that early
>> boot will become undebuggable since one will not be able any more to
>> dump -x'es in shell scripts to see what's going on.
>
>This begs one question: Why would you want to?
>
>"systemctl status" tells you quite clearly what went wrong, "journalctl"
>shows you what the program printed in case it did get started … and so on.

If the system boots.

>If you manage not to get a login prompt, enable debug.service and you'll
>have a root shell on TTY 9. systemctl has even grown a --root argument,
>so you can do that to a mounted file system if you can't get even get an
>emergency prompt, or you can use it from the kernel command line.

I bet that there is something a vital debug option is missing. It is
virtually impossible to offer really complete debugging. -x is
agreeable a pain, but it shows _everything_ a script does, down to the
result of every subexpression in loop and decision constructs and
therefore offers the ultimate debugging.

>Sticking "-x" into scripts was a major PITA from the beginning. It grew
>even more pains as init-functions and colorful prompts came along, and I
>for one am VERY happy to finally get rid of that kind of "debugging".

I am always glad when I don't need to do it, but just having the
possibility of doing so makes things so much easier.

Greetings
Marc