Re: copyrighted embedded ICC profiles in images

Le samedi 10 mai 2014 à 13:37 +0100, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> On Sat, 2014-05-10 at 11:10 +0200, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Jonas Smedegaard brought to my attention that an image file [0]
> > can embed a copyrighted ICC profile without license.
> [...]
>
> This sounds like a ludicrous overreach of copyright.  Isn't an ICC
> descriptive, rather than creative?  And the idea that vendors could
> claim images made with their products (very likely with no explicit
> action to use the profile) to be derivative works is appalling.

On [2] one can find some examples of licenses one embedded icc profile
can be put under:

 To anyone who acknowledges that the files
 "sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_no_black_scaling.icc" and "sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_black
 scaled.icc" are provided "AS IS" WITH NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY,
 permission to use, copy and distribute these file for any purpose is
 hereby granted without fee, provided that the files are not changed
 including the ICC copyright notice tag, and that the name of ICC shall
 not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of
 the software without specific, written prior permission. ICC makes no
 representations about the suitability of this software for any purpose.

So, even if the license was distributed along with the image using it,
this license clearly violates DFSG 3 (here, no modifications of embedded
icc profile are allowed).

Jérémy.

[2]
http://www.color.org/srgbprofiles.xalter