Re: copyrighted embedded ICC profiles in images

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 02:55:09PM +0200, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> Le samedi 10 mai 2014 à 13:37 +0100, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> > On Sat, 2014-05-10 at 11:10 +0200, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Jonas Smedegaard brought to my attention that an image file [0]
> > > can embed a copyrighted ICC profile without license.
> > [...]

> > This sounds like a ludicrous overreach of copyright.  Isn't an ICC
> > descriptive, rather than creative?  And the idea that vendors could
> > claim images made with their products (very likely with no explicit
> > action to use the profile) to be derivative works is appalling.

> On [2] one can find some examples of licenses one embedded icc profile
> can be put under:

>  To anyone who acknowledges that the files
>  "sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_no_black_scaling.icc" and "sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_black
>  scaled.icc" are provided "AS IS" WITH NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY,
>  permission to use, copy and distribute these file for any purpose is
>  hereby granted without fee, provided that the files are not changed
>  including the ICC copyright notice tag, and that the name of ICC shall
>  not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of
>  the software without specific, written prior permission. ICC makes no
>  representations about the suitability of this software for any purpose.

> So, even if the license was distributed along with the image using it,
> this license clearly violates DFSG 3 (here, no modifications of embedded
> icc profile are allowed).

The license only matters if the work in question is copyrightable in the
first place.  If it's not copyrightable, then you don't need a license and
should ignore any license being offered to you.  The fact that someone is
trying to *claim* copyright and offer you a license you don't need is not
what's relevant.

I haven't looked at what these ICC profiles are and whether we should
consider them creative or not, but that's the question Ben is asking here.