Re: automatic autoconf config file updating

Quoting Russ Allbery (2014-04-17 20:22:32)
> Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
>
>> Personally I would then silence the lintian warning, because...
>
>>  a) I dislike dh-autoreconf: It removes changed files  which breaks my
>>     workflow where disappearing files are treated as an error.
>>  b) I prefer stripping automade files from source tarball, to avoid the
>>     (IMO required) hassle of both verifying that we also ship proper
>>     sources for them, and track copyright/licensing for them.
>
> You realize these contradict each other, right?  If you strip the
> automade files from the source tarball, then dh-autoreconf will no
> longer delete changed files, since the files that it deletes are
> exactly the files that you're stripping.
>
> So unless I'm missing something, it seems like you should continue to
> do (b) if you want to do that... and then also use dh-autoreconf.

Yup, I realize that - thanks for noticing :-)

I am involved in maintaining 350+ packages, and only for some of them I
have raised the bar of perfection to the level of stripping
pesudo-source.  I.e. *nowadays* I dislike dh-autoreconf and prefer
stripping automade files.

 - Jonas