Re: About a mass bug report not based on Sid or Jessie.

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 07:53:27AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 05:25:47PM -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> > Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
> > > But I think we ought to switch to autoreconfing by default.

> > Agreed, particularly given that we now have a good and fairly reliable
> > tool for doing so.

> Thanks everybody for your answers.

> I invite people interested in new ports to work on that change: run autoreconf
> by default.  The other approach, to run autoreconf only when needed, is
> never-ending: new packages uploaded today build fine everywhere, but some of
> them will need patching in the future.  Please break the circle !

As this will likely only be applied by default to packages updated to a new
debhelper compat level, action by the maintainer is still needed for this
change to take effect.  It's trivial for you to fix this issue in your own
package by applying the change from autotools-dev to dh-autoreconf - only
marginally more involved than changing the value in debian/compat.

And that already gets you off the run-autoreconf-when-requested treadmill.