Re: the importance of defaults (was: Debian default desktop environment)

On 12/04/2014 12:23, alberto fuentes wrote:
xfce4 felt like a less polished gnome2 but at least it didn't disrupt
my workflow.

JFYI, it's not ready yet in Debian but MATE is advancing and looks promising for those who still miss Gnome2. Recently a number of packages entered in unstable (caja, mate-terminal, pluma, etc), others are waiting in NEW (mate-screensaver, etc) and others are yet to come, like the login manager. Upstream community looks quite active. The MATE packaging team are doing a good job and i hope that we will be able to try a complete MATE environment in Debian soon.

While i like Xfce, my current DE, the thing i worry most is that it seems almost stagnant: the latest release (4.10) was from 2 years ago and from the Xfce main site and blog i see no advancements.
Really really a pity.

Cesare.