Re: the importance of defaults (was: Debian default desktop environment)

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
>> Some numbers with my free interpretation from ubuntu popcon:
>> unity is installed in 605_209 machines, but its used regularly only by
>> 46_210
>>
>> Thats a very low number by all metrics for a default desktop [0].
>> People dislike it. People dislike disruptive
>
> ...or those people simply do not use a desktop on those installations?
>
> Only if popcon numbers for xfce/kde/whatever add up to somewhere near
> the missing amount can you reasonably conclude distaste for a particular
> desktop as reason, I believe.

The number of the rest of the desktops are severely skewed towards
defaults. Thus, is very hard to add up the rest of the desktops vs the
default. The point was very well illustrated with Ariely ted talk if
you know or have watched the talk

I think that the number being low says something already. if people is
not going to run a desktop at all, they would install ubuntu server.
if you know enough not to run desktop you know enough not to install
desktop at all

People installing regular ubuntu desktop and those very low numbers,
even if that means no desktop at all, says something about the
default. It also match my experience that people dont like disruptive
and dont being disruptive would be a good default

confirmation bias? it very well might be. These are all free
interpretation of the already skewed popcon data anyway

Can you pull data from popcon in the past to add some more numbers and
graphs to my free interpretation?