Re: Building/testing on s390x

* Xavier Roche <rocheml@httrack.com>, 2014-04-13, 18:47:
Solution 2: do not depend on the network at all

I would strongly recommend this.

Solution 3: do not depend too tightly on the network

There are multiple problems with using network at build time:

1) Security: a MiTM attacker can force your package to FTBFS.

2) Reproducibility: a change in the way the remote server behaves can make your package FTBFS. (Not a nice thing when somebody is trying to make, let's say, a security upload...)

3) Privacy: random third parties shouldn't be notified that I'm building the package, dammit!

4) Economy: some people have download quotas on their Internet connections.

Maybe an additional protection could be to make tests non-fatal, maybe, but I would have to post-check every single build.

That would fix 1 and 2, but not 3 or 4.

--
Jakub Wilk