Re: the importance of defaults (was: Debian default desktop environment)

Em 12-04-2014 08:15, Jonas Smedegaard escreveu:
Quoting alberto fuentes (2014-04-12 12:23:46)
I had to leave gnome with gnome3 because it disrupted my workflow so
much i couldn't cope

In my case I like shiny but not at the cost of useful.

xfce4 felt like a less polished gnome2 but at least it didn't disrupt
my workflow.
I am in favor of Xfce as default desktop for Debian, but...

Some numbers with my free interpretation from ubuntu popcon:
unity is installed in 605_209 machines, but its used regularly only by
46_210

Thats a very low number by all metrics for a default desktop [0].
People dislike it. People dislike disruptive
...or those people simply do not use a desktop on those installations?
I think that this would make more sense. Every ubuntu installation I see, that was not from a previous Linux user, is running Unity. None of them did ever complain to me (and people like to complain when they recognize you as a 'Linux guy') .

Only if popcon numbers for xfce/kde/whatever add up to somewhere near
the missing amount can you reasonably conclude distaste for a particular
desktop as reason, I believe.

  - Jonas

--
Fabio Rafael da Rosa