Re: the importance of defaults (was: Debian default desktop environment)

Quoting alberto fuentes (2014-04-12 12:23:46)
> I had to leave gnome with gnome3 because it disrupted my workflow so
> much i couldn't cope
>
> In my case I like shiny but not at the cost of useful.
>
> xfce4 felt like a less polished gnome2 but at least it didn't disrupt
> my workflow.

I am in favor of Xfce as default desktop for Debian, but...

> Some numbers with my free interpretation from ubuntu popcon:
> unity is installed in 605_209 machines, but its used regularly only by
> 46_210
>
> Thats a very low number by all metrics for a default desktop [0].
> People dislike it. People dislike disruptive

...or those people simply do not use a desktop on those installations?

Only if popcon numbers for xfce/kde/whatever add up to somewhere near
the missing amount can you reasonably conclude distaste for a particular
desktop as reason, I believe.

 - Jonas