Re: Debian default desktop environment

John Holland dijo [Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 07:27:11PM -0400]:
> How about something completely different: Enlinghtenment?
>
> No, I'm not kidding........

If we are offering users something different, we should go for
technical excellence. And I have never seen a group where tiling
window managers are more favored than Debian. We have to teach our
users how to be more productive, and how to make themselves more
unique. So, I suggest we ship a desktop consisting of:

- Window manager: i3
- File browser: urxvt
- Photo viewer: caca-utils
- Web browser: lynx
- Mail client: mutt
- Instant messenger: irssi
- Productivity suite: emacs
- Music app: supercollider
- Media player: mplayer (on libcaca, of course)

(TBH, I am a regular user of most of those packages, and in fact most
of the time I'm using only that plus two "X-native" applictions)