Re: Debian default desktop environment

On 04/04/2014 10:42 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 02:52:41PM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
>> We go over the same ground over and over. I'm increasingly in favour of *no*
>> default. You must pick one from a list on install. Randomize the list if
>> necessary.
>
> And can I pass my granddad's phone call on to you when he is stuck
> choosing among names that are absolutely obscure to him like "GNOME",
> "Xfce", and "KDE"?

If we are the universal OS, we shouldn't just focus on non-experts, we
shall try to satisfy everyone. If someone implements the choice thing
(after years we're talking about, I still have hope...), then it's
probably a good thing to keep it in the expert mode only. Which of
course leads to: we still have a default to decide, in the case of the
non-expert mode.

Then, maybe a GR for deciding which DE should be the default could be
considered. It's not like the init system: I think every DD has enough
knowledge to decide, especially because this is a very subjective choice
with tastes and habits involved (TWM anyone? :)). I'm not sure I would
like to take the burden of being the person proposing the GR and writing
the text though, and I would prefer to first discuss if it is a good
idea to do that (some may very dislike that idea).

Thomas Goirand (zigo)