Re: Ifupdown dysfunctional, is a Provides: interface possible please?

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 15:37:28 +0100, Andreas Barth <aba@ayous.org>
wrote:
>* Stephen Powell (zlinuxman@wowway.com) [140329 15:05]:
>> On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 01:34:27 -0400 (EDT), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> >
>> > Or connman.
>>
>> Frankly, I think that the claim that ifupdown is dysfunctional is an exaggeration at
>> best and untrue at worst.  I am not claiming that it is bug free; but in
>> my experience, it works just fine; and I see no compelling reason to replace it.
>
>I'd put it as "works very good for servers, but for roaming laptop
>usage there could be something better". However, I fail to see yet any
>which is the better[1] (perhaps guessnet was, but it is removed from
>testing currently).

Network Manager is the solution with clearly the smallest amount of
configuration options, but it covers the case "notebook with varying
WLAN and Ethernet connections" quite well. I have given up on my old
scheme that automatically configures customer-based local DNS zones
and web proxies and am now configuring this manually whenever I change
locations. This is a big step back since what we had five years ago,
but that's how things go these days: Useful Features are sacrificed
for "modern ways" to do things.

wicd is more configurable than network manager, but is mostly
unmaintained these days, and still leaves wishes for configuration
unfilled.

For any decently complex setup such as a firewall or a VM host,
ifupdown is still _the_ most functional way to go with no real viable
alternative.

Greetings
Marc