Re: stop posting useless cruft and get to work (systemd and Linux are *fundamentally incompatible* -> and I can prove it)

On 26 March 2014 10:13, Cameron Norman <camerontnorman@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> That is pretty much impossible, according to the developers of the logind
> API and its single implementation. Perhaps a subset of the logind API for
> use by desktop environments / compositors would be more useful in this init
> and OS portability predicament. I think Matthias Clasen, a GNOME developer,
> actually recently expressed interest in this from a portable window manager
> and compositor's perspective.

I can tell you right now, it is *vastly more difficult* to try to
adapt programs modified to work with systemd in their current state,
than it is to *revert* those programs to their pre-systemd state.
There is a huge amount of unknown design parameters that would need to
be known to adapt those programs effectively, and since systemd
clearly lacks any coherent design, you will not be able to identify
coherent ways to fix this.  That is your signal to abandon that path
right there.

Trust me on this, you don't want to try to patch the *current* versions.

And what about all the non-systemd improvements made to those programs
over the years they worked with systemd?

For that, it is *orders of magnitude easier* to take the improvements
and adapt them to the pre-systemd version of the program.

This is why I specifically mentioned that Debian perform a pre-systemd
reversion to escape this mess.  Once you have reverted, you can then
figure out how to apply the *useful* upgrades to the old programs.
This is the easiest path you can take.

-Kev