Re: ca-certificates: no more cacert.org certificates?!?

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 15:29:12 Marc Haber wrote:
> <onlyjob@debian.org> wrote:
> >I just want to note that Startcom is no match to cacert.org in regards to
> >free SSL certificates. Some years ago I got free certificate from Startcom
> >but a year later Startcom refused to renew it for free.
>
> They renew their certificates only in the last (two?) weeks of the
> lifetime. You cannot renew them ad your convenience, you have to do it
> at theirs.

It had nothing to do with timing. I got usual email notice "renew your
certificate before it expire", submitted renewal request and got "Certificate
Declined" response. When I asked why they explained that "Class 1 certificates
are not meant to be used for e-commerce" despite that it was not a problem
when they issued original certificate one year prior to that. They refused to
renew certificate in January 2011 so my guess is that they've changed their
policy some time in 2010...

--
All the best,
 Dmitry Smirnov