Re: dist-upgrade strangeness: dependencies not deconfigured

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 11:01:24AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Dear all,

> during upgrade tests from stable to sid I found that upgrading
> TeX Live does not work.

> The reason is that although texlive-common is uninstalled,
> and texlive-base (2012) *depends* on texlive-common,
> texlive-base is still in installed and proper state:

> un  texlive-common <none>       <none>       (no description available)
> ii  texlive-base   2012.2012061 all          TeX Live: Essential programs and

> Is this *supposed* to be? If yes, how can I guarantee that a package
> is *deconfigured* when some of the dependencies are uninstalled?

I think your root cause analysis is wrong.  If you want help understanding
why your dist-upgrade didn't work, you should show the output of the actual
apt command.

What you're showing here is a snapshot at some point in the middle of an
upgrade, when texlive-common has been removed (because the package no longer
exists, and the new texlive-base conflicts with it) and texlive-base has not
yet been upgraded.  It's legitimate to do this during an upgrade; in fact,
normally the very next step is for apt to unpack the new version of
texlive-base which had declared the Conflicts: with texlive-common.  But
something else stopped apt before it got that far.

For the record, the removal of texlive-common without the deconfiguring of
texlive-base is because apt will pass --force-depends to dpkg.  It does this
because in various scenarios, dpkg when left to its own devices can find
itself in a catch-22 on dist-upgrades.  So apt deliberately lets the
dependencies be broken, with the expectation that it can fix them up again
afterwards.