Re: Bits from the Security Team

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote...

> I was trying to say that there is no policy currently in place to ensure
> that skip-upgrades actually work,

Agreed. If LTS is going to be a permanent thing, this has to
change. For any squeeze-lts to jessie upgrades, the ride might become
a bit bumpy although I suspect the number of affected packages is
*that* big. But no doubt it's above zero.

Preventing skip-upgrade for a certain package using technical means
doesn't look easy. The only solution available now I can think of is a
"come from" version number check in preinst. That's ugly.

So again, let's see squeeze-LTS as an experiment. But time is running
up if any finding should result in updates policy etc. before the
jessie freeze.

> and at least one maintainer has
> already started to cleanup pre-wheezy stuff from his packages [0].
> [0] I'd be surprised to be the only one, who knows.

Just in this thread, I've counted two :)

    Christoph