Re: Bits from the Security Team

Le lundi, 10 mars 2014, 13.52:59 Ian Jackson a écrit :
> Paul Wise writes ("Re: Bits from the Security Team"):
> > Debian doesn't support skipping releases right now and I expect if
> > we
> > support releases for a longer amount of time that won't change.
>
> But, in practice, skip upgrades often work anyway.  I'd encourage
> maintainers not to gratuitously break them.  For example, aggressively
> removing compatibility code is a bad idea.  (It's bad for our
> downstreams too).

I, for one, have been routinely dropping transitional binary packages
that were in the latest stable; they were needed to migrate from (the
releases which are now) oldstable to stable but are only archive noise
now. Delaying that cleanup for an additional stable release cycle really
feels like unnecessary delay, during which we pretend to maintain code
that hardly anyone tests.

The problem is that there is no policy in place to make us support
oldstable-to-testing upgrades. If there's interest, that'd need to be
decided with a more firm policy than "encourage maintainers".

Cheers,
OdyX