Re: jquery debate with upstream

Quoting Ian Jackson (2014-03-12 13:58:51)
> If an interpretation of the DFSG suggests that we should be doing work
> which does not further those objectives, then I think that
> interpretation is a misreading.  Conversely, if an interpretation of
> the DFSG suggests that we should tolerate a situation which undermines
> the freedom of our users, then that would be a subversion of our
> values.
>
> No-one has come up with any practical benefit from the repacking of
> source tarballs to remove nonfree files.

I fail to follow your logic.

It does not hurt our users' freedoms that we ship minified Javascript
code (i.e. functionally identical code but non-reversable to its
preferred editable form) - as long as our users ignore the same files as
we do in our build routines.

Similarly it does not hurt our users' freedoms if we shipped RFC
GFDL-licensed documents, as long as they didn't edit those doxuments.

I don't understandf how one breed should be treated differently from the
other.

 - Jonas