Re: jquery debate with upstrea

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 11.03.2014, 11:22 +0100 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
> Quoting Russ Allbery (2014-03-11 03:32:54)
> > Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> >
> >> I'd suggest an acceptable workaround is to include the source in the
> >> debian.tar.gz/diff.gz or to repack the upstream tarball, probably the
> >> latter since jQuery is usually an embedded code copy.
> >
> >> https://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedCodeCopies
> >
> > Note that we do not (and should not) repack upstream source for
> > embedded code copies that are not used in the build, if there are no
> > other issues with those copies.  It's sufficient to just not use them.
>
> I agree that there are better ways than repackaging.
>
> I disagree that "just not using [parts lacking true source]" is one of
> them.  Instead I find that the combination of these is acceptable:
>
>  a) Include the "true source" in our addendum (the diff for v1 or the
>     tarball for v3 source formats)
>  b) Ensure that "reformulated source" in the tarball we redistribute
>     pristine is indeed a reformulation of the "true source" (e.g. by
>     comparing checksum against same processing done once)
>
> That's more elegant in that we ship pristine upstream tarball, but not
> simpler because it puts the burden on the package maintainer to prove
> that the source we redistribute was not altered only reformulated.

I see how that is solves the problem, and how it is idiologically
desirable, but is it worth it? Consider this:

I find a package that ships some-lib.min.js without source. It happens
that we have libsomelib-js in Debian. So I

     1. Make debian/rules not install some-lib.min.js into the binaries.
     2. Change e.g. the HTML files to point to the file in
        libsomelib-js.
     3. Try to find out what precise version some-lib.min.js is.
     4. Hunt down the source package for that version and include it in
        debian/
     5. Build that to get another copy of some-lib.min.js is.
     6. Compare it with the one shipped by upstream.
     7. Possibly tweak build settings until the results are the same,
        trying out various minimizers and options.

Of these 7 steps, only the first two actually affect the resulting
package, i.e. our users. From a practical point of view, I don’t believe
that we should spend time on 3-7, and instead replace it by

  3. Ensure that we can legally distribute libsomelib-js
  4. Add it to debian/clean (or maybe Excluded-Files), and be done with
     it.

Greetings,
Joachim
--