Re: jquery debate with upstrea

Quoting Russ Allbery (2014-03-11 03:32:54)
> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
>
>> I'd suggest an acceptable workaround is to include the source in the
>> debian.tar.gz/diff.gz or to repack the upstream tarball, probably the
>> latter since jQuery is usually an embedded code copy.
>
>> https://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedCodeCopies
>
> Note that we do not (and should not) repack upstream source for
> embedded code copies that are not used in the build, if there are no
> other issues with those copies.  It's sufficient to just not use them.

I agree that there are better ways than repackaging.

I disagree that "just not using [parts lacking true source]" is one of
them.  Instead I find that the combination of these is acceptable:

 a) Include the "true source" in our addendum (the diff for v1 or the
    tarball for v3 source formats)
 b) Ensure that "reformulated source" in the tarball we redistribute
    pristine is indeed a reformulation of the "true source" (e.g. by
    comparing checksum against same processing done once)

That's more elegant in that we ship pristine upstream tarball, but not
simpler because it puts the burden on the package maintainer to prove
that the source we redistribute was not altered only reformulated.

 - Jonas