Re: building arch:all packages on the buildd network (was: Re: when will we finally throw away binary uploads)

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 04:28:15PM +0100, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> "Build-Architecture-Indep" might also work and is visually similar to
> the already existing "Build-Depends-Indep" and "Build-Conflicts-Indep"
> fields.

Erm, I swear I didn't ignore your feedback; this is what I meant, I just
typed it wrong. Either way, the field name is likely the easy part :)

> > BTW; the syntax would define a single arch; you know, in the spirit of
> > reproducability.
>
> I think allowing multiple architectures is more technically correct: not
> restricting the build to specific architectures implies "any" so we
> allow muliple architectures already.
>
> For the implementation we might want to have a priority list. The first
> architecture from the priority list that is allowed in Build-Arch-Indep
> (or whatever) would build the arch:all packages. The list would likely
> start with amd64 or i386 so that arch:all packages without
> Build-Arch-Indep would be built on amd64 (i386).

I have yet to go through the other thread, but I assume the only
objection still remaining is that having it be a single arch is
troublesome.

So, building off this mail (and ideas I had kicking around):

| Build-Depends-Indep field is defined as a list of architectures that the
| arch indep packages may be built on.
|
| Architectures are parsed as splitting on whitespace (space, tab and
| newline) as delimiter between the raw values. A package which defines
| non-"any" values may not define "any" in the list of values. The values
| are defined with the same values as the Architecture field, with the
| exception of "all".
|
| "any" may be interpreted as the prefered arch, which is advised (but not
| required) to be amd64. If multiple values are provided, the first value
| (only) will be used to build the arch:all package.

Any arguments on this rough concept?

I figure we can treat the list sorta like we do with OR'd
Build-Depends (after all, aren't they really similar in the end?), so
that we ensure a deterministic build host arch, and allow for fallback
for buildd setups that may not have a few arches.

Comments?

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87