Re: when will we finally throw away binary uploads (Re: Please upgrade your build environment when you are affected by transition

On 27/02/14 00:39, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 01:11:55PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>> First, we need new syntax to specify the architectures an arch:all
>> package may be built on. (There may be cases where this cannot be
>> deducted from the other binary packages it builds – if any. Heck,
>> there may even be cases where a source package has multiple arch:all
>> packages that need to be built on *different* architectures.)
>>
>> Then we need to have this syntax supported by dpkg in stable, AIUI…
>
> Yo, tg,
>
> I was going to send a mail about this yesterday. I've decided I'm going
> to start a quest to support this. I settled on Build-Indep-Architecture
> myself.
>
> Anyway, dpkg doesn't need to be involved besides not choking on the
> d/control line. We can just change wanna-build, debile and launchpad to
> pass --arch-all to sbuild[1], which sbuild totes already supports.
>
> The launchpad team seems willing, and i've not talked with wanna-build,
> but I'm sure they're up for it.

Launchpad already passes -A to sbuild on i386, and that's all worked
fine for the last 8 years. We just need to override the i386 default
when this field is present.

> BTW; the syntax would define a single arch; you know, in the spirit of
> reproducability.

I'm not sure this going to be sufficient long-term. A prioritised list
sounds better to me; consider the proliferation of x86, ARM, MIPS and
PowerPC architectures, where it's likely that any member of the family
can build the platform firmware, and rebuilds or derivatives may support
just a subset of the processor's ABIs.

I'd probably define "Build-Indep-Architecture: armhf armel" to mean
"build with -A on armhf if you have it, otherwise armel, otherwise
nowhere". But maybe it would be better for "otherwise nowhere" to be
"otherwise anywhere"?

On the other hand, it's relatively easy to expand from a single arch to
an ordered list later without breaking compatibility. And given the
number of packages involved it's probably not completely terrible to
change entirely if it doesn't work out.