Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

Hi,

Kevin Chadwick:
> Regex works just fine for me.

One sample usecase where they dont't: "the system is wedged / overcommitted
and I need to terminate some services; guess I'll start another ten processes
to do that". Yeah, right.

I'll be nice to everybody else here and not enumerate any others.

>> … not to mention any other processes which the daemon started, which
>> may or may not linger after its (grand)parent died, and which may or
>> may not cause problems when restarting.
>
> Never happened to me and shouldn't happen on a well designed service
> that should be controlling it's children. If it does happen you should
> be checking the system over anyway and possibly filing a bug.

*its children.

Besides, this is immaterial; a well-designed init should be able to cope
with not-well-designed services and furthermore should be able to help
me debug them if/when that happens.

To summarize:

Please stop bashing features just because you happen to not
need ^w want them.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs