Re: pulseaudio related problems....

On 21-02-14 10:57, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 02/21/2014 09:29 AM, Mario Lang wrote:
>> I am sorry, both are not an option for me, since alsamixer is a ncurses
>> program, and pavucontrol apparently requires $DISPLAY to be set.
>>
>> I guess that explains why the accessibility community has
>> problems with PA.
>
> What's wrong with the accessibility mechanisms provided in GNOME
> (screen reader, magnifier)? (Serious question). I had the impression
> that accessibility works rather well in GNOME and upstream actually
> puts efforts into making that happen.

I think the point of Mario is that people like him don't have a DE, but
work from console. I haven't checked, but apparently pavucontrol needs
an X-session to show itself. Of course ALSA has the same problem that if
you don't hear it you can't change it, but at least it doesn't require
an DE just to change your sound settings (to get it to work).

Maybe I haven't understood Mario's remark and I am fully wrong.

Paul