Re: pulseaudio related problems....

Hi,

Salvo Tomaselli <tiposchi@tiscali.it> writes:
> A certain number of users seem to be having troubles with pulseaudio, yet you
> keep insisting that it's just their fault and that since you can't reproduce
> (have you even tried?) then the problem doesn't exist.
>
> We understood it, for you pulseaudio is completely bug free and all the
> problems about it are just the users. Do you need to repeat it many more
> times? Because I can see that for your opinion the number of people claiming
> to have encountered problems with it is completely irrelevant.

In my opinion this is a really unfair assessment of what is happening.
It was mentioned *multiple* times, that if people observe bugs
in PA, they should open a bug report and I can really understand, that
it is conceived neither as fun, nor as productive, to discuss such
things on debian-devel, let alone with people who have the attitude
that just purging PA is a superior solution than fixing these bugs or
spending a few minutes configuring it (and don't get me started by
saying this shouldn't be necessary. It was acknowledged that some
thought might be put into making the default configuration better,
though there seem to be some problems, so better try to solve these).

Everyone acknowledges, that there might be bugs (this was also mentioned
multiple times), but to work with them in any productive way -- and be
it making the point, that PA is utterly and completely broken and should
be purged from debian -- you need some objective assessment of the
situation, not just anecdotal evidence of people, that say there *might*
have been a bug in PA, but we'll never know, because they just purged it
instead of troubleshooting it (or, by the way, people saying that it
works for them).

I would really wish, people would think a minute about what they really
want to achieve regarding PA, when making such claims:
• Make PA better? File a bug report
• Get PA to be the default, better integrated? File a bug report
• Throw PA out of debian? File a bug report, start a survey to assess in
  an objective matter whether this is something the majority wants or even
  start a GR
• Have less packages depend on or recommend PA, so that it is not
  installed without explicitly doing so? File a bug report against
  packages depending on or recommending PA. Though that might not be
  perceived as very productive too.

After thinking about that, you should then think about if your personal
problem, non-problem, or mail in general does really anything to achieve
that goal. My personal goal is to kill this discussion or at least steer
it into a more productive direction. And I guess, it also won't achieve
this, but don't blame me for trying ;)

Best,

Axel