Re: Two line init.d scripts? Sure, that will work!

Hi,

Gergely Nagy:
> > Oh except that some people didn't, which causes problems for the systemd
> > transition -- because init skript that are not skeleton-based don't know
> > how to redirect itself to systemd …
>
> Err, no. I have plenty of sysvinit scripts that work just fine with
> systemd, and are not at all based on skeleton.

Note I said "redirect to systemd", not just "works with systemd".

Or s#based on skeleton#uses /lib/lsb/init-functions# if you did not miss that.

> Even if you generate an init script from systemd service files, the end
> result will be terrible, on the same level as the current sysvinit
> situation is.

The result will either be exactly equivalent to a mostly-unmodified
skeleton script, which in many cases is an improvement, or die because of
unsupported service file stanzas.

In any case, I'd rather have an autogenerated init script and an uptodate
service file, than a somewhat-out-of-date sysvrc script which systemd runs
in compatibility mode and no systemd service file.

I'd like the common maintainer of the common daemon-providing package to be
able to get by with maintaining _one_ config file for said daemon which
s|he can actually test …

Finally, we don't *know* that
> the end result will be terrible
unless somebody actually tries to do this.

> There's a reason it has not been done neither for upstart,
> nor for systemd: it's not worth it.

systemd is already declarative and runs sysv-rc scripts, so the cases are
not equivalent.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs