Re: Two line init.d scripts? Sure, that will work!

Hi,

Gergely Nagy:
> If you want to properly support multiple init systems, write the init
> scripts / service files / etc for each of them.

The problem is that we all did that once already, and look where *that*
effort ended up: For sysv-rc, 1000 people copied (old versions of)
/etc/init.d/skeleton, hacked their daemon parameters into the variables in
the header, *maybe* checked that SIGHUP actually causes the thing to
re-read its configuration (if any) as opposed to exiting unglamosourly,
and hoped that it'd work.

Oh except that some people didn't, which causes problems for the systemd
transition -- because init skript that are not skeleton-based don't know
how to redirect itself to systemd …

I'd much rather have something well-tested and upgradeable which takes the
five lines you actually need for the common case(!) from a working systemd
service file and produces a sensible init script from that.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs