Re: Two line init.d scripts? Sure, that will work!

"Francesco P. Lovergine" <frankie@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 11:59:11AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
>>
>> I think the best approach would probably be to automate the generation
>> of init scripts in debhelper.
>>

> Seconded. Using an auto-generated skeleton starting from a simple template
> would be more than enough to solve the main problem i.e. simplify maintainer
> life.

No, it would be a terrible idea: First, to reliably support all of the
init systems, you'd have to target the dumbest one, and either not
support the features of the others, or emulate them to some extent
within generated code.

Not supporting features of modern init systems means that the generator
is completely useless.

Trying to emulate features of the other init systems means you'll have
quite a bit of complexity and strange behaviour. That's not going to
simplify anyone's life, quite the contrary: it will make debugging
orders of magnitude harder, because you will now need to debug not only
the init script and the software itself, but the generator too. No,
thanks.

If you want to properly support multiple init systems, write the init
scripts / service files / etc for each of them. Anything else is going
to cause more trouble than what it is worth. The effort spent on trying
to come up with a way to generate init scripts from sources is better
spent creating systemd/openrc init files for software that don't have it
yet. If half the people campaigning for a generator would have written
one init script or service file a week, we'd have most things covered by
now.