Re: Two line init.d scripts? Sure, that will work!

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 11:59:11AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Before you go too far down this path, I'd like to suggest that you do
> something which makes it possible to provide init system configuration
> for other than sysvinit, at the same time.  And that you use an
> arrangement which uses a non-forking startup protocol for the daemon.
>
> I think the best approach would probably be to automate the generation
> of init scripts in debhelper.

Is that a joke? I find it hard to tell.

1) https://xkcd.com/927/ (we already had this here, why is it necessary
   to reiterate?)

2) metainit (+ dh-metainit)! You don't have to work from scratch. All
   you need to do, is pick up where Joachim Breitner stopped.

But I seriously doubt that this will get us very far, cause every time
someone suggested writing a tool for generating init scripts, the
discussion (and implementation) died once someone mentioned metainit. Do
we never learn from history?

Helmut