Re: pulseaudio related problems....

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> writes:
> On 02/15/2014 08:59 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I'll agree with that.  Audio really should just work unless the
>> hardware configuration is particularly strange.

> So, if your computer has several sounds cards - which is the case when
> you have both a sound card and HDMI audio - how is PulseAudio supposed
> to know which sound card to use? This is in no way different to plain
> ALSA.

I can think of several ways to handle that.  I don't know how many of them
PulseAudio already implements.  For example, if it's a common problem to
have the sound going through HDMI audio when people have a sound card,
maybe the default in that case should be to use the sound card rather than
HDMI.  Or (and I don't know if that capability is present) maybe it should
default to sending the sound to all cards.

All I'm saying, and all I think Steve is saying, is that audio not working
out of the box is some kind of bug.  That's fine -- software has bugs.  We
all know that.  It might be an important bug, it might be a normal bug, it
might be a wishlist bug, or it might be a wontfix bug, but something the
user reasonably expected to work didn't work, so that's a bug.

That doesn't mean ALSA didn't also have bugs.  Of course it did.  :)

> FWIW, sound works in 99% of the cases right after a fresh install.
> Problems like the one described by Christian usually occur on systems
> which have been undergone several configuration changes and upgrades,
> i.e. old systems.

Which would be a... wait for it... bug in our upgrade handling.  :)  But
again, I have no idea the severity.