Re: Conflict between debian/upstream (DEP-12) & debian/upstream/ (uscan)

On 13/02/14 00:34, Charles Plessy wrote:
> why not fixing devscripts instead ?  Uscan is the tool that is broken, and it
> would take two minutes to fix it.  Sorry, but the burden of the work should be
> on the shoulders of the one who did not check the archive contents before
> starting to use a file used by others.

Do you realize that if the tools/consumers are fixed to cope with both the old
and the new locations, then there is no work for you and the other package
maintainers to do?

Do you realize that James has repeatedly offered to patch those tools so they
look at both the old and the new locations?

I don't really mind whether DEP-12 uses debian/upstream or
debian/upstream/metadata (or whatever), or if the upstream signing key goes in
debian/foo or in debian/upstream/foo... but given the impact is small, the
transition can be smooth, and that a folder can be used for many different
purposes, why not just do it?

I'm sure James did not mean to hijack that filename without a discussion. As he
said, he didn't notice it was being used. So let's just do it and move one.

James, if you need help with any of this let me know.

Regards,
Emilio